Friday 15 June 2012

Summer holiday challenge

mmmmm...I just love to smell the honeysuckle especially in the evening as the scent seems so intense at that time of the day...




... and wafts in through the open windows - but not tonight as we have rain and wind here again!


A first for me - at the 'knit and natter' group I asked if someone could show me how to knit a cable stitch, but rather than show me, they got me to knit a sample. The reason behind my request was that C has asked if I will knit her a hat. She has seen these seriously fun tea cosy hats on a site called 'grannies knitts' (see here)


I just love the little flap for the spout!  which you can't actually see on this image. This hat is called 'Traditional afternoon', but there are others - Lady Grey, Darjeeling, and Coffee and Cream - I think they are brilliant. The company was started by a student at Cardiff University. His granny knitted hats for him and his friends really liked them and wanted one, his granny couldn't keep up with demand so he expanded his team of grannies to knit more. They use lovely yarns like alpaca and cashmere.

With this for inspiration, we had a look on Ravelry for patterns and found something similar. It is a free pattern published by Shana called Men's Cabled Hat, but there is a women's and men's size.
Not having knitted anything with a cable stitch before I thought it would be a good challenge. So, here is my little sample to remind me how to do the stitch.



and the colour combination of wool that C has chosen,


and this will be a project that I will take with me on our family holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment