Wednesday 16 July 2014

More old glass bottles found

We were up at the house renovation project again over these past few days, making the most of the lovely weather. We are mainly working in the garden at the moment before the building work begins. J has been digging a trench along the back of the garden so that we can build a little retaining wall - I have been shifting all the rubble that has come out of the trench! Anyway, this area at the bottom of the garden has obviously been a dumping ground for all sorts of things and we have found several more old bottles. 
You may remember me talking about a find last year - a small bottle with 'Crosby's Balsamic Cough Elixir' on the side
Now we have added a few new ones to the collection - I'm still trying to get the dirt and stains out of the bottles. We had to throw away quite a few that were cracked or broken, but a couple of the ones below are quite interesting.

This is a beer bottle that came from Iredale's High Brewery in Carlisle. The Brewery started in 1876 and was in existence for 50 years and produced a Pale Ale. The Brewery was beside the railway and apparently had its own sidings for bringing in coal and hops. I found this out by reading a review of a book called 'Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses1894 - 1916' written by Steven Davidson. I may investigate this bottle further when I have more time.
The next bottle is tiny, only 5cm high and 2cm across and has 'Roger and Gallet Paris' on the side. It looks as if it is a little bottle for perfume and may have been one of a sample pack with different scents. I found a little about the company here and  here
This bottle, I suppose is a medicine bottle of some sort as it has table spoon markings along the side - I wonder what was inside???
I can't find out much about this one, but it has me intrigued. 
 I wonder if we will find any more as we still have a way to dig along the fence?

9 comments:

  1. I understand about the hard work digging out! You have found some very interesting bottles haven't you, I have never heard of or seen one with the tablespoon markings before either. I hope that it goes well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, digging out is hard work! I've been following the work on your house and at least you seem to have an end in sight, and the work done is looking good. I'm just glad that we are not living in the middle of it all like you are. Hope the weekend goes well. xx

      Delete
  2. How fascinating to find these lovely old bottles and to be able to identify some of them! Good luck with the rest of the digging out...I hope you find some more treasures.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. It is indeed fascinating to come across finds in the garden and I will try and make time to find out a little more about the bottles - all part of the history of the house! xx

      Delete
  3. What an interesting slant to the hard work of all that digging, makes you wonder what else you might find... buried treasure... OOooh I wonder!
    Best wishes, Jay x thesewingwren.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for buried treasure! but the bottles themselves are quite fascinating.

      Delete
  4. hi jilly i found 2 little glass bottles just like that do you now eny more about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Sorry I've not had time to research into it yet.

      Delete
  5. I found the exact same 'table spoon' bottle this morning in a stream in Nefyn on the Llyn Peninsula!

    ReplyDelete